Thursday, February 10, 2011

Quinoa and Black Beans

I have found the best place to buy quinoa is Costco. They have a pretty big bag for about $10. My kids love this meal and I've fed it to lots of their friends who have liked it too.

1 t olive oil
1/2 or 1 onion depending on preference, chopped

1 c quinoa
2 c water
1 t cumin
1/4 t pepper

1 can corn
1 can diced tomatoes drained
2 cans black beans drained

chopped cilantro

Heat oil in large pan and cook chopped onion until tender. RINSE QUINOA IN WATER. (this gets rid of the bitter taste) Add quinoa, water, cumin and pepper to pan and simmer until tails of quinoa have "popped" 10-20 minutes. (you'll be able to see thin little curly threads coming out of the grain) Add remaining ingredients, except cilantro, and cook until heated through . Add cilantro and serve.

* I am guessing the original recipe had garlic in it, but because Chase is allergic to it I always omit it when recording recipes. If your family likes garlic I would add few cloves when the onion is almost done cooking.

No comments:

Post a Comment