Friday, March 18, 2011

Czech Braised Cabbage

I just returned from a visit to Eastern Europe. While in the Czech Republic we had the most delicious food. I did not know that I liked cabbage. I tolerate coleslaw if I must. After living in the south for 20+ years I'm beginning to appreciate cooked 'greens'. Cabbage and onions were about the only vegetables offered while eating in Prague, seems traditional Czech food is monochromatic.

The taste memory was strong so I did a little research to lengthen our trip for a few more days while here at home and this is what I found. Take a chance and try it for your family, they may be pleasantly surprised.

Braised Cabbage

1 3 pound head of cabbage--shredded
4 slices bacon
1 small onion, chopped
1 stalk celery, chopped
1/4 cup vinegar
1 cup water
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon sugar
pepper

In a large skillet or dutch oven, fry the bacon until lightly browned, remove the bacon. Reserve 1 tablespoon of bacon grease or discard all and use 1 tablespoon olive oil.

Saute onions and celery for about 5 minutes in the reserved oil. Crumble the bacon and add to the sauteed vegetables. Add the shredded cabbage, vinegar, water, salt, sugar and pepper. Cover and let cook, stirring occasionally, for about 30 minutes or until the cabbage is done to your liking.

In the Czech Republic this was served with dumplings, meat and gravy. It was a meal to remember

No comments:

Post a Comment